Friday, February 23, 2007

Fight Like A Girl

This statement can mean many different things and in my case it means that I don't fight at all. I am extremely non-confrontational, this means that I tend to avoid conflict as much as possible. It is my character flaw if you will.

This is the mode that I went into yesterday, I was very upset about something and instead of saying right then and there how I felt I kept quiet. This morning as I was coming in to work I realized that I had done it. I had not said anything and because of that I was angry and hurt.

The problem that I have is that at the moment that something happens I shut down and then when I am ready to talk about the issue, some time has gone by and it is no longer as important, so I put it aside. I tell myself that I was probably over reacting and that I should just move on. But then something else would happen and still I would not say anything, until one day I would just explode. My Husband now knows how to distinguish the signs of when I am upset and drags it out of me but I think that it is very important for me to bring up the issue or the problem.

And so I have done it, I have spoken up about how I felt yesterday and I have to tell you, I feel great. I will try to not take the hurt feelings to bed with me anymore.

I will listen to my mother who said...Never go to bed angry. Words of wisdom.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Yay for you! My husband is like you, and although he always always feels better once it's out in the open and we can just deal with it, his instinct is still always to just sit on it and stew silently. Which makes us both miserable. Hard to change, eh? But good.

Karla Zamora, Digital Analyst said...

You really do feel better once it is out in the open. I really have to remember to say something as soon as possible even if I can't do it right then and there.